Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Surgery tomorrow

Yesterday I had a 12:30 appointment with the doctor and a 2:30 appointment with the hospital for the anesthesiologist, the Bariatric nurse, and others. We had to wait for the doctor and only got in to see him after 2:00. He was very encouraging and explicit. I trust him. He said the surgery may take as long as 4 hours. Later the Bariatric nurse said to allow 5 hours. Had to pay $4,000 yesterday.

Then we were sent to the Hospital check in and they only had ONE person working. The waiting area was full. I was in great pain from sitting on my motorized cart. It gets me where I need to go but is almost unbearably uncomfortable for more than an hour at a time. My pain level was over 10! We waited an hour there before moving to the next waiting place.

We then spent a lot of time with the Bariatric nurse and a nurse who will be caring for me. Another nurse came in and drew blood and checked vitals - the 4th time in the last 3 days. Good news: all is well.

Today I am on a liquid diet and will take an antibiotic presription which will result in cleaning out my system (read laxative).

Tomorow we will be at Northside Hospital, Atlanta at 5:30 am. The Vascular Surgeon will install a screen in my neck as a precaution against embollisms. Then the surgeon will laproscopically go into my abdomen and redesign my gut, creating a smaller pouch (stomach) and a smaller area of absorption of calories. I will then to to intensive care for the next 18 hours (after 2 hours in recover) and then to a room.

Only liquids for a month after surgery,.

Then only 2 oz. of food (mostly protien) 3 times a day, 3 protein shakes every day, 64 oz. of total daily fluid intake, daily chewable multible vitimin (Flintstone), daily Calcium supplement, daily chewable tums, and a monthly B12 injection for the rest of my life. No sugars, no carbs - ever.

What is the reward? First it is for this body to be 1/2 this size in about 12-18 months. Second, new knees at 300lbs. Third, greatly increased mobility and overall health. Very importantly, more good years with the most wonderful wife in the world, our most wonderful son and daughter in law and the only perfect grandchild in the universe. Finally, I do not think the Lord is through with me yet. I have a big responsibility for the Seminary in Venezuela. I still need to preach, write and teach.

So the surgery promises these possiblities. I am very aware of the risks and am at peace with that. I know I could die on the table, or have a crippling stroke or any number of unpleasant things could happen. My trust is in Jesus. I will either live in Jesus or die in Jesus, in which case I will live in Jesus. Not a bad deal, it you really think about it!

I appreciate you prayers.

8 comments:

  1. Am praying for you. Take care...BTW, flintstone vitamins aren't all that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flintstones chewables - oh so yummy - I liked the red ones :-)

    You are in my thoughts and prayers. This is such a good thing you are doing. You will be so much happier when you can move around and do the things you want to do.

    Your tummy will be a bit sore - laughing will not be pleasant for the first couple of weeks, but you'll manage. :-)

    Hugs to you!
    xo
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are at peace... that means the Holy Spirit has done His job! And you are right ... YOU win no matter! But we all pray that you get to continue your ministry, and being a loving husband, father and Grandpa for many MANY more years to come!!! In a MUCH more comfortable body! My prayer group is on you - and so am I!
    God bless you sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh so not Arepas ever! so sad, but we can handle it!
    Orando mucho por su operacion!
    Te enviamos mucho amor!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO GLAD THAT I CAME BY........... I WILL PRAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8:39 a.m. Wednesday -- you're in my thoughts and you are well prayed for. Be safe... God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So well-written. You remain in Jim's and my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that the next step has arrived. Good luck and God bless. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete